Electric scooters are a great way to get around, but what do you do when it rains? You don’t want your scooter to get wet and ruined, so in this article we’ll show you how to waterproof your electric scooter so that you can keep using it no matter the weather!
Why You Should Consider Waterproofing Your Electric Scooter
If you’re an electric scooter owner, you know how important it is to keep your vehicle in good condition. One way to do this is to waterproof your electric scooter. Waterproofing your scooter will help to protect it from the elements and keep it running smoothly.
Here are a few reasons why you should consider waterproofing your electric scooter.
- Protection from the Elements: Waterproofing your scooter will help to protect it from the elements, including rain, snow, and ice. This will keep your scooter in good condition and help to prolong its life.
- Improved Performance: Waterproofing your scooter will also improve its performance. This is because water can cause electrical problems that can lead to decreased performance or even damage to your scooter.
- Enhanced Safety: Waterproofing your scooter will also enhance its safety. This is because wet conditions can be dangerous, and if your scooter is not properly protected, you could slip and fall.
- Increased Resale Value: If you ever decide to sell your scooter, waterproofing it will increase its resale value. This is because potential buyers will know that the scooter has been well.
Waterproof and Water Resistant
When it comes to electric scooters, there is a big difference between waterproof and water-resistant. Waterproof means that the scooter is completely protected from water and can be used in any weather conditions.
On the other hand, water-resistant means that the scooter can resist water to some extent, but it is not completely protected.
Waterproof electric scooters are typically more expensive than their water-resistant counterparts.
How to know your scooters waterproof rating?
IP ratings are important for electric scooters because they define how well the scooter is protected from the environment. IP ratings provide a standardized scale for dust and water resistance. Electric scooters with a higher IP rating will be better protected from the elements and will last longer.
An electric scooter’s IP rating is a measure of how well it is protected from the environment. The ratings are based on a standardized scale, with IPX4 being the lowest and IP55 being the highest.
The most common ratings are IPX4 and IPX5, which indicate that the scooter is resistant to water and dust respectively. Higher ratings, such as IP34 and IP54, provide greater protection against these elements.
IP55 is the highest rating available, and indicates that the scooter is completely sealed against dust and water. This makes it ideal for use in harsh conditions or around pool areas.
How to Waterproof Your Electric Scooter
No matter which method you choose, waterproofing your electric scooter is an important part of maintaining it.
1. Waterproof with silicone
If you’re looking to add an extra layer of protection to your electric scooter, consider waterproofing it with silicone. This can help to prevent water damage if you encounter any puddles or rain on your rides. To do this, simply apply a layer of silicone sealant around the edges of your scooter’s deck and base.
You can also apply it to any exposed wires or electrical components. Let the silicone dry completely before using your scooter again. With this added protection, you can keep riding no matter the weather!
2. Waterproof the Electrical Connectors Too
Most people know to waterproof their electric scooter’s battery and motor. But don’t forget about the electrical connectors! Water can seep in and cause corrosion, which can lead to electrical problems down the road.
Here are a few tips for waterproofing your electric scooter’s electrical connectors:
- Use dielectric grease on all of the connectors. This will help to seal out water and prevent corrosion.
- Use shrink wrap or electrical tape to further seal the connections. Make sure that the tape or shrink wrap is applied tightly so that no water can get in.
- If possible, avoid riding in wet conditions. If you do have to ride in the rain, make sure to dry off the scooter as soon as possible afterwards.
- By following these tips, you can help to keep your electric scooter in good condition for years to come!
5. Never Fold the Scooter If It’s Still Wet
If you own an electric scooter, you know that they are a lot of fun to ride. But, you also know that they can be a pain to keep clean and dry. If you live in an area with a lot of rain or snow, you know that it is important to keep your scooter dry. But, what do you do when your scooter gets wet?
Most people think that the best thing to do is to fold the scooter up and put it away until it dries out. But, this is actually the worst thing that you can do. When you fold a wet scooter, all of the moisture gets trapped inside the scooter and this can cause rusting and other damage.
The best thing to do if your scooter gets wet is to let it air out.
6. Dry the Scooter After Use
If you’re caught in a rainstorm while riding your electric scooter, don’t worry. Just make sure to wipe it down with a clean, dry cloth as soon as possible.
This will help remove any moisture that could lead to rusting or other damage. drying off your scooter after a rainy ride will help keep it in good condition for years to come.
7. Invest On Water-Resistant Cover
Invest in a good quality waterproof cover for your scooter. This will help keep it dry when you’re not using it and protect it from the elements when you are.
8. Extend the Mudguard
One solution is to extend the mudguard. This will help protect the rider from getting splashed by water or mud, and it will also keep the scooter itself clean. Another option is to buy a waterproof cover for the scooter. This can be used in conjunction with the extended mudguard or on its own.
9. Apply a waterproofing spray to your scooter
A waterproofing spray is a great way to protect your scooter from the elements. By applying a waterproofing spray, you will be able to keep your scooter looking new for longer.
Waterproofing sprays are also great for protecting your scooter against rust and corrosion.
10. Store your scooter indoors during bad weather
When it rains or snows, many people are forced to leave their scooters outdoors. However, this can be damaging to the scooter and shorten its lifespan. It is important to store your scooter indoors during bad weather, especially if it is not waterproof.
Electric scooters are a great way to get around, but you need to take care of them in the rain. Waterproofing your electric scooter is not difficult and only takes a few minutes. By following these simple steps, you can keep your scooter in good condition and avoid any damage from the rain.
About the Author
Hi, I m Seba and I am the author of this blog.
Electric scooters have been my passion since I bought my first one back in 2016.
Since then, I have experimented with numerous models and gained a wealth of knowledge about electric scooters.
I always keep myself updated with the latest product releases and advancements in this field.
I am delighted to share my experiences and insights with you here.
My background includes a degree in Avia Engineering, and I have a keen interest in outdoor sports and traveling.